- Hexamine (Potassium reagent)
Pale yellow prisms from acetic acid; crystals from 93% nitric acid.
Booster explosive in bombs, mines & warheads of torpedoes, reagent for gravimetric determination of potassium.
|Registry Numbers and Inventories.|
|EC Index Number||612-018-00-1|
|EC Class||Explosive; Very toxic; Danger of cumulative effects; Dangerous for the Environment|
|EC Risk Phrase||E; R 2|
T+; R 26/27/28
N; R 51-53
|EC Safety Phrase||S: (1/2-)35-36-45-61|
|RTECS class ||Tumorigen (C); Mutagen (M)|
|Listed on the Toxic Substancs Control Act (TSCA).|
|Listed on Canadian Non-Domestic Substances List (NDSL).|
|Listed on Australian Inventory of Chemical Substances (AICS).|
|Melting point, °C||252|
|Density||1.818 g/cm3 (-173 °C)|
|Solubility in water||insoluble|
|Hazards and Protection.|
Keep away from sources of ignition. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Flammables-area.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Use with adequate ventilation. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Remove all sources of ignition. Use a spark-proof tool. Provide ventilation.
Stable at room temperature in closed containers under normal storage and handling conditions. Stable; however, material can decompose above 251C (484F).
Acids, oxidizing agents.
Nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. This chemical poses an explosion hazard. Powder ignites and burns when heated. Material is shock sensitive and potentially explosive. Greatly increases the burning rate of combustible materials. Containers may explode when heated. Extinguishing media: For large fires, use water spray, fog or regular foam. Contact professional fire-fighters immediately. For small fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, sand, earth, water spray or regular foam. Cool containers with flooding quantities of water until well after fire is out. Do not fight fire when fire reached container, it may explode.
Flammable by spontaneous chem reaction; practically all nitrates are powerful oxidizing agents.
| ||Flammability||0|| |
| ||Reactivity||0|| |
|Exposure effects||May cause methemoglobinemia, which is characterized by chocolate-brown colored blood, headache, weakness, dizziness, breath shortness, cyanosis, rapid heart rate, unconsciousness and possible death.|
May cause irritation of the digestive tract. The toxicological properties of this substance have not been fully investigated. This product contains nitrite which may cause methemoglobinemia
May cause respiratory tract irritation. The toxicological properties of this substance have not been fully investigated. This product contains nitrite which may cause methemoglobinemia.
May cause skin irritation. The toxicological properties of this material have not been fully investigated.
|First aid|| |
Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid. Do NOT induce vomiting. If conscious and alert, rinse mouth and drink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.